Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
Main: Obesity
Level: 2249

Post Re: Jeff - Engine rebalance
The Voomy One wrote:
Personally I have found that a vis of 50-100 is low enough. You can be seen if you move with people too close but as soon as you stop thrusting the vis will drop fast.
You cant expect a engine with very high thrust/turning and also very low vis. Once you get below 100 vis it will start effecting other stats.

tbh, i dont see 50, nor 100 vis as low enough vis on an engine.
why? well, my seer, which has a standard setup of 3 seer mast athena+, can ping up other seers that is moving with qua vazuk - 14 vis from 800 away... so i guess if you up that engine vis to ~50, i can see them from few 1000 out, and even SDs with athena+s and a decent ping radar can see them when moving from a few hundred distance away.

I think :mrgreen:

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: Hooch Dealer
Level: 4389

The Voomy One wrote:
Excuse me but how exactly is it a nerf?

And keep in mind that vis is messed up on a lot of engines and will get fixed, other then that the actual stats will be beefed....

I think that sum's it up nicely.

http://www.gbtv.com
http://www.theblaze.com

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

The Voomy One wrote:
Excuse me but how exactly is it a nerf?

And keep in mind that vis is messed up on a lot of engines and will get fixed, other then that the actual stats will be beefed....

I'm glad that many are getting fixed...

But the reason it's a nerf is because with 300 vis, it at least takes a while to rev up the point where they can see you. with 900 vis, any thrusting at all lights me up like a Christmas tree.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:09 pm
Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337

You are speaking of the Unholy Lion Thruster Im guessing, a engine that was never meant to be a stealth engine and that has probably gotten it's stats beefed. Nerf? I dont think so.

Quote:
tbh, i dont see 50, nor 100 vis as low enough vis on an engine.
why? well, my seer, which has a standard setup of 3 seer mast athena+, can ping up other seers that is moving with qua vazuk - 14 vis from 800 away... so i guess if you up that engine vis to ~50, i can see them from few 1000 out, and even SDs with athena+s and a decent ping radar can see them when moving from a few hundred distance away.

Im talking about engines for Sniper which you might notice if you read through my posts.
Imo Seer requires engines with lower vis because they need to get closer to their target. They also get agility bonuses which helps a lot.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:24 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Dodging a dg full of AI that will each one shot my ship with energy volly+'s from their one torp(of 2/4) requires me to have a butt load of agility.

A sniper should just need to warp out and then start up causing hell.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:43 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: thebattler36
Level: 2015

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Dodging a dg full of AI that will each one shot my ship with energy volly+'s from their one torp(of 2/4) requires me to have a butt load of agility.

A sniper should just need to warp out and then start up causing hell.

then change your shield. m00

or get moar energy resists.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

How does a Seer in a Death Striker even have energy resists when dealing with an Omega Battlestation and its 8 Omega Platform guards?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 pm
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

ULT got nerfed. Btw.

so now its worse and also has 909 visibility.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:24 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

Actually the idea of a single engine for thrust, turning and stopping is the real problem.

There should be three separate engines:

1) Main Engines used only for forward thrust.

2) Steering Engine(s) used to turn the ship. Large ships could have multiple turning slots to improve performance at the cost of space and weight.

3) Parking Engine(s) used to stop all motion. Again multiple engines could be used on large ships. Parking Engines would be optional and player preference.

By separating the engines into these categories players can select the right engine combinations for their ships based on personal preferences.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:59 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: Mouse
Level: 4442

I tried RC on test as a DM Rhino and it worked fine definitely didn't bother me. As for what Voomy said about snipers having to choose, personally I think this is fine. As a fully blown sniper I always choose between two different engines either a Qua Vazuk for stealth or my Venu Motor* shielded for agility.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:02 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: StarDrifter SunSoar
Level: 3093

Bonecrusher wrote:
Actually the idea of a single engine for thrust, turning and stopping is the real problem.

2) Steering Engine(s) used to turn the ship. Large ships could have multiple turning slots to improve performance at the cost of space and weight.

3) Parking Engine(s) used to stop all motion. Again multiple engines could be used on large ships. Parking Engines would be optional and player preference.

/signed

THIS would be a true engine rebalance (a big one at that...). I can imagine that this would be a huge undertaking.

By separating the engines into these categories players can select the right engine combinations for their ships based on personal preferences.

=Neo=

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm
Team: Traders
Main: KorGgenT
Level: 2525

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Heres a question: why balance the other engines to the level of rc at all? LET freighter locked engines be stupidly powerful. They need to be.

No they dont need to be stupidly powerful. We need a working balance sheet so prevent OP items being added in the future and Freighters are.....well freighters....They should be heavy and turn a bit slow.

Balance is very important in a online game, if items are too good there is no room to add new items.
Keep in mind that we have tech 21 engines coming very soon.

So you are saying there should be no such thing as a combat freighter and all engineers and shield monkeys should quit? because you seem to be really adamant about freighters being almost useless in battle due to bad maneuverability.

It's all a scam! omg!!!!

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

Bonecrusher wrote:

If I was designing it from the ground up, yes, I would do it that way, and I would require energy to thrust and turn. But I think at this point, that would be too much of a change, and I'm not also 100% convinced that it's the right move anyway. It would be simpler in one sense, but also more complicated in that the amount of equipment needed for a ship would increase. Probably better would be to keep existing engines and then add new optional items like turning thrusters which could add turning in addition to what engines have or thrust boosters that could add thrust.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: StarDrifter SunSoar
Level: 3093

Now that sounds like a plan Jeff. :)

Yea I would love steering engines. AND, would be cool to have a graphic/particle effect when you are turning. :o

=Neo=

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

OK, I've redone the stats and updating test with it. Basically the two changes are that

1) I made engines by and large a lot heavier than before and then also given more bonus strength to engines which are heavy
and
2) Made a look up table for stealthy engines so that they are classified as one of 4 stealthy types and each type except "not stealthy" has a constant visibility and a particular reduction in power. This has resulted in almost every stealth engine being way stronger than before with I think only one exception.

Some new stats of note are
name / weight / size / thrust / turn
Rhino Charge / 4.3 m / 340 / 565 / 20022 (triple the weight, more than double the old stats)
Gigantic Dime Motion / 912k / 206 / 171 / 16005 (jacked the turn/thrust ratio way up on the Dime Motions)
Grape influence / 153k / 120 / 150 / 3666
OS Fission / 940k / 208 / 461 / 6303

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next