Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Main: Spatzz
Level: 3104

Post Re: Patch Discussion - November 15
I believe there are large scrap chunks out there. Ones that start in the bils then break down from there due to partial use.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:55 am
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

Shinsei wrote:
There was a major discussion about this in the forums actually. Generally the player base is in favour of it over the old GG system, but of course it will require tweaking to be put in line (so that people won't want to die without consequence).

Kay, after a couple searches I finally found that it was briefly mentioned 8 pages into ONE thread in the dev notes forum. Now I know how I missed it... except now I remember seeing it and never getting the impression they were very serious about it.

If there were others, I was just using the wrong search terms. Give me links or it never happened :-P

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 am
Main: Beelz
Level: 1

How does this affect engines, shields and electrical systems? Do these reduce in durability as well? if so i would strongly advise that they do not. a shield with 10% of it's normal stats or an energy that can no longer regen your shields is a ticket waiting to happen when preyed on in piracy. or stuck in deep perilous.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 am
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

Asmodeaan wrote:
How does this affect engines, shields and electrical systems? Do these reduce in durability as well? if so i would strongly advise that they do not. a shield with 10% of it's normal stats or an energy that can no longer regen your shields is a ticket waiting to happen when preyed on in piracy. or stuck in deep perilous.

when your that stuck in perilous guess its time for the tow in sol ;b

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:18 am
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

I believe that a certain percent of commodities should still drop on death.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1969

And, yeah, you can always tow on death.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

I hope that means tow prices have been dealt with? Sometimes they charge an arm and a leg for no reason.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

IF you are really planning to keep this, poorly thought out system, in the game next week you need to add:

1) All AI kills drop spare parts that can be used to repair a player's gear. Dropped spare parts could have a tech level and be used to repair equipped gear up to that tech level. Lower level spares can be used to jury rig repairs at a loss of performance.

2) Spare parts are stored in a special service bay and take no hull space, but the service bays may be size limited to how many spares they can hold. Additional spares can be carried in the normal ships holds.

3) Hull plating that increases the hull integrity depending on the type of material used and the tech level of the plating. Ships with high level of Hull Integrity will offer more protection to equipped gear when the shields are knocked out.

Also see my posting here: http://www.starsonata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=48641

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:36 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

It's not a bad idea for spare parts to be a drop from AI you kill. After all, their gear is getting damaged too. That will also insure that the parts are always plentiful when you need to stock up on some.

Maybe this is thinking too far ahead, but perhaps there should be a way to condense parts...

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 am
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

anilv wrote:
It's not a bad idea for spare parts to be a drop from AI you kill. After all, their gear is getting damaged too. That will also insure that the parts are always plentiful when you need to stock up on some.

Maybe this is thinking too far ahead, but perhaps there should be a way to condense parts...

I think you are overcalculating mr calculator. Everyone just chill and let the new system establish before we try and fix it :)

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:17 am
over 9000!

Zekk wrote:
Shinsei wrote:
There was a major discussion about this in the forums actually. Generally the player base is in favour of it over the old GG system, but of course it will require tweaking to be put in line (so that people won't want to die without consequence).

Kay, after a couple searches I finally found that it was briefly mentioned 8 pages into ONE thread in the dev notes forum. Now I know how I missed it... except now I remember seeing it and never getting the impression they were very serious about it.

If there were others, I was just using the wrong search terms. Give me links or it never happened :-P

Jeff alludes to it here. If you read the last post (mine), you see that I refer to a previous conversation that is no longer available on the forum. It ran several pages and fleshed out many possible alternatives to the gear glue system. To jog your memory, Jeff suggested in that thread that people be able to neurobind their gear in order to keep it from dropping, along with a bunch of other ideas.

That thread definitely didn't wrap up with a firm pronouncement that we'd get rid of GG, but the two sources we have dug up (and perhaps others) indicate that it was indeed in the works.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:38 am
Main: Demon Spawn
Level: 1672

Cygnus wrote:
I dont like it. What happens if you DO die more than 10 times? You're effectively screwed, especially on uber runs. There is no point in making you any worse than that, either; it will just inspire rage...imagine being stuck in perilous, 2 jumps from an AI base, and you have 10% of your normal stats. A space rat could oneshot you.

And what about uber runs? What about stuff like Oly, where some snipers might die a great deal, especially absentises. They have no option to fix themselves on runs, other than carrying a lot of rather bulky repair gear? This seems to be more annoying than anything.

Think about it; how often did people lose gear once they learned about gear glue? Not very dang often. The only time it would happen was at low levels where people dont have the money to pay for it, and even that will be fixed by C2 where people make a great deal more money.

Overall this seems like a poorly thought out solution for the occasional loss of a piece of gear. It seems to me that more people would quit just because of the annoyance of this system than ever quit because of gear loss due to lack of gear glue.

I don't often say this, but I don't see any potential for this new system. I think it might be best to change back. If you think I'm wrong, please explain your full thought process that led you to this decision.

I effectively agree that the old GG system should remain the same - this repair ship parts is STUPID - not at all impressed - I am sure a lot of people agree the GG and CG system is better - nobody wants to have to stop at an AI base in Pspace and continually repair their ship - Especially with slaves - that would get just plain annoying - therefore I see no point in changing a system that has been working for the longest and people were happy with it.

PS..... Fix items in AI base - they are showing up double and the "ALL" tab is not working - I think since the ALL tab is not working - that is why items are showing up double - and make "Seer's Orb" appear in Shadow's AI base again trying to start Seer missions here people.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:45 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

well you should in theory be stopping less as you dont even start losing durability for what is it 5 kills? i dont recall ever having more than 5 gg on my slaves to go peril

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:51 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Demon Spawn, do you carry more than 10 gear glue on your slaves? If not, then you've already been stopping at AI bases in Perilous space at least as frequently as you will now. Ditto for your main ship.

In case you are missing the point, it takes 10 deaths for your equipment to start working less effectively, and that's assuming CG has no effect at all (which it will).

To Cyg: you will have little trouble carrying a few repair pieces around instead of the customary GG, and on an uber run I'm sure you will be able to buy a few from a well stocked support character. Since you seem to have been paying zero attention when this was originally discussed, it doesn't matter how infrequently someone runs out of gear glue and loses an expensive item. The point is that the variance of the cost of death is way too high in the GG system, even though the expected cost is tolerable. High-variance costs are what make people ragequit.

Back when I used to do Brute Force with a Phantomstream, I would generally fly back with about 3k shields. Please tell me you have more than 30k bank on your main ship. At any rate, there will be an elective towing system that you can avail yourself of if you truly find it impossible to get to any AI base and also have zero repair doodads on board, AND you manage to die at least 18 times (no crazy glue the whole time) without a chance to visit an AI base.

The one drawback I can see to the repair system is that it's unclear where to acquire spare parts, other than actually killing somebody. They should be available for purchase from AI bases and/or drop as semi-occasional loot from random AI. I'm willing to wait and see how well players drive the market but it may need some stimulation in order to function properly. Perhaps parts should be added to AI bases every time they are used on the fly, as well as when they are actually sold.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:57 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

what about the trade slave griefers? how will the new system affect those? wasnt there some rule put in about weaps disconnecting if a gg wasnt used or somesuch? I'm talking about those players that just kill trade slaves with no real losses, using NB weapons, wont they lose even less in this system? they will be able to get back in and carry on killing TS

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next