Dev Team

Post Patch Discussion - November 15
Discussion of the patch notes here.

A lot of players seem clueless to the new system, so I'll attempt to flesh it out for them.

Gear Durability and Repairs:

On death, all equipped gear is reduced in durability by 5%. A fraction of that 5% is dropped in the form of scrap parts. The value of the parts will always be less than the cost of your damage on death.

If your gear durability drops below 50%, it's attributes will be reduced by half. Furthermore, if your gear durability is below 10%, it will once again have it's attributes reduced to -90%.

To repair your gear, you can either use scrap parts from the wrecks of other players, or use credits. You are only able to pay for ship repairs at an AI base. Additionally, if you attempt to repair your ship without being docked at a base, you'll be subject to a lower repair efficiency, effectively requiring more parts to repair your gear.

Extra Notes/Answers to FAQs:

-Dropping scrap parts in PvP Arenas (Colosseum, etc) is not intended.
-The current cost of death is intentionally low for testing.
-Under no circumstances should gear fall off your ship at death.

Last edited by Shinsei on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:17 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

Post Re: Patch Discussion - November 15
I was too damn fast=S
First
~Preter

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1100

I saw the secret message.

bageese wrote:
We've been against saying any solid dates until we know for sure when something is coming in.
:lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

Camsy wrote:
I was too damn fast=S
First
~Preter

I found you
http://youtu.be/ciG-Xs7mBwU

Interested to see the new turn banking.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 3482

you know what was the best improvement of Skyrim over Oblivion/Morrowind? Not having to repair your shit. I'm really curious why this was put in without any prior discussion with the playerbase at large, like most big changes have been over the years. So... how does this interact with Gear Glue?

but whatever you did to hashing is very nice.

Last edited by Zekk on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:51 pm
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Shinsei wrote:
-Under no circumstances should gear fall off your ship at death.

Does this mean we no longer need gg at all? If so, I suppose that AI bases should be modified to buy gg at its full purchase price for the next uni or so.

Also, will commods like fuel and missile crates still fall off of ships?

One more thing: You really should change the name of the "durability" attribute. That name suggests the degree to which an item will resist wear, not the amount of wear to which it has already been subjected.

Some alternatives:
functionality
status
efficiency
condition

(The rest would require you to mirror image the stats to start at 0)
deterioration
wear
breakage

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Camsy
Level: 2191

1 year from now i can sell gg20 for 500m/each
since it will be rare =)

Blue Dwarf wrote:
Statistically, they haven't changed.

Except for the beef I gave.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Zekk wrote:
you know what was the best improvement of Skyrim over Oblivion/Morrowind? Not having to repair your shit. I'm really curious why this was put in without any prior discussion with the playerbase at large, like most big changes have been over the years. So... how does this interact with Gear Glue?

It was discussed extensively in at least two threads in the past six months. Gear glue now serves no function and will be bought by AI bases for a full refund in the near future. I'm not familiar with the Skyrim system of death penalization; perhaps you can elaborate how it could be adapted to SS.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 am
Dev Team

Zekk wrote:

There was a major discussion about this in the forums actually. Generally the player base is in favour of it over the old GG system, but of course it will require tweaking to be put in line (so that people won't want to die without consequence).

Dorin Nube wrote:
Does this mean we no longer need gg at all? If so, I suppose that AI bases should be modified to buy gg at its full purchase price for the next uni or so.

I don't know any use for GG at the moment.

Dorin Nube wrote:
Also, will commods like fuel and missile crates still fall off of ships?

I can check to confirm it if you're really interested, but I think that the same rules as before apply to commodities.

Dorin Nube wrote:
One more thing: You really should change the name of the "durability" attribute. That name suggests the degree to which an item will resist wear, not the amount of wear to which it has already been subjected.

While I understand your thought process here, it's also an extremely intuitive meaning in MMOs to refer to 'Durability' in this way.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:11 am
Team: Sparta
Main: Casillas
Level: 6

anilv wrote:
Zekk wrote:

It was discussed extensively in at least two threads in the past six months. Gear glue now serves no function and will be bought by AI bases for a full refund in the near future. I'm not familiar with the Skyrim system of death penalization; perhaps you can elaborate how it could be adapted to SS.

He means in the previous games you had to pay an armourer or use a repair hammer to fix your gear. (Over time from taking hits or hitting enemies, swords, shields, armour etc reduced in effectiveness as they took more damage)

In the latest release, this feature is removed.

However, I think the ss2 system of repair is good - just needs to settle in, people to learn the ways to profit and we'll be fine.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:13 am
Main: Gunslinger Myrtok
Level: 2640

Shinsei wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:

While I understand your thought process here, it's also an extremely intuitive meaning in MMOs to refer to 'Durability' in this way.

Well, just because all the OTHER MMOs jumped off the bridge of illiteracy doesn't mean we have to follow them!

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 am
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

I dont like it. What happens if you DO die more than 10 times? You're effectively screwed, especially on uber runs. There is no point in making you any worse than that, either; it will just inspire rage...imagine being stuck in perilous, 2 jumps from an AI base, and you have 10% of your normal stats. A space rat could oneshot you.

And what about uber runs? What about stuff like Oly, where some snipers might die a great deal, especially absentises. They have no option to fix themselves on runs, other than carrying a lot of rather bulky repair gear? This seems to be more annoying than anything.

Think about it; how often did people lose gear once they learned about gear glue? Not very dang often. The only time it would happen was at low levels where people dont have the money to pay for it, and even that will be fixed by C2 where people make a great deal more money.

Overall this seems like a poorly thought out solution for the occasional loss of a piece of gear. It seems to me that more people would quit just because of the annoyance of this system than ever quit because of gear loss due to lack of gear glue.

I don't often say this, but I don't see any potential for this new system. I think it might be best to change back. If you think I'm wrong, please explain your full thought process that led you to this decision.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 am
Dev Team

Cygnus wrote:
I dont like it. What happens if you DO die more than 10 times? You're effectively screwed, especially on uber runs. There is no point in making you any worse than that, either; it will just inspire rage...imagine being stuck in perilous, 2 jumps from an AI base, and you have 10% of your normal stats. A space rat could oneshot you.

And what about uber runs? What about stuff like Oly, where some snipers might die a great deal, especially absentises. They have no option to fix themselves on runs, other than carrying a lot of rather bulky repair gear? This seems to be more annoying than anything.

Think about it; how often did people lose gear once they learned about gear glue? Not very dang often. The only time it would happen was at low levels where people dont have the money to pay for it, and even that will be fixed by C2 where people make a great deal more money.

Overall this seems like a poorly thought out solution for the occasional loss of a piece of gear. It seems to me that more people would quit just because of the annoyance of this system than ever quit because of gear loss due to lack of gear glue.

I don't often say this, but I don't see any potential for this new system. I think it might be best to change back. If you think I'm wrong, please explain your full thought process that led you to this decision.

This entire arguement is negated by the fact that you can repair on the fly using scrap parts, so if you like to die a lot, bring some along for repairs in Olympus. ;) Apologies if this thought process to counter your arguement seems short and not very full.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 am
Main: Sceadu
Level: 1913

Have you considered that i don't have the hull space to hold these things? The smallest they can be is 1 size, and you can't fit a full ship repair into the same size as one gear glue. If you could, then it would be just dandy...but isn't that exactly the same thing as gear glue, except you get a free 10 deaths? It just seems pointless, and removes a major point of excitement from the game.

In other news: Please make a Repair All button.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 am
Dev Team

Cygnus wrote:
Have you considered that i don't have the hull space to hold these things? The smallest they can be is 1 size, and you can't fit a full ship repair into the same size as one gear glue. If you could, then it would be just dandy...but isn't that exactly the same thing as gear glue, except you get a free 10 deaths? It just seems pointless, and removes a major point of excitement from the game.

In other news: Please make a Repair All button.

There's multiple types of repair parts (ranging in value), so if you wish to carry some for emergency repairs, you'd only need 1-5 hull spare (less than gear glue typically).

And yes, a Repair All button should be on the way soon! Until then, you can Click the top, and Shift+Click the botton of your inventory to multi-select and batch repair your items.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 am