Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladin's Presence
Level: 3937

Post Re: Gunner
The biggest point I feel I can make here is this; An FC can drop their pocket change on an aura that is almost twice as strong as Destruction. Gunner has to invest a ton of skill points in a skill that requires everyone involved on the run to pre-plan to be going with the gunner and gear aaccordingly, only to reap a much much smaller benefit from a more cumbersome system.

So, why don't we just trade the bonuses and hard cap destruction at the bonus gleaned from MF2. FC now gets a smaller bonus for much less effort, gunner gets a much larger bonus for putting out a lot more effort than FC has ever considered.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 4

s_m_w wrote:
I did a quick test and it turns out that I was wrong, destruction is hard capped at 2 weapons (20%) right now.

Well, that certainly prevents the brokenness problem. TBH, i dont doubt that someone on a higher level team has already tried that out...it's a pretty cool idea, too bad it doesn't work! Sort of.

Another problem that Gunner faces, like you pointed out, is lack of content. Their damage types are limited, they have very little in the way of gear that is actually specifically meant for them. On top of that, the way missiles were made was, while very encompassing of two damage types, not terribly fun in its creation. SS is the game with space rats and scruples and the Mad Scientist, so it seems kinda...out of place, having all those missile launchers be every 5 levels, and only available from one place.

It would really be great if there were new places to get BP's for missiles and launchers, of a large variety of techs. Really, any AI that uses missiles could use a different type of missiles; Scruplex missiles, Kilrathi Thorns, any number of ridiculous names are possible and would make the entire class extremely amusing, similar to engineer!

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Last edited by Demiser of D on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

s_m_w wrote:
I did a quick test and it turns out that I was wrong, destruction is hard capped at 2 weapons (20%) right now.

Thanks for saving me the cost of a cerb aug and a reclass to gunner.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:40 pm

As for the whole aura/destruction business, i dont know if the current Auras are overpowered, but it does seem unfair that gunner is limited to less DPS than FC. If you want to make things more interesting, make enemies that get your aura benefits or something, that could be cool and make FC a much more interactive class, while beefing gunner at the same time.

Also, if a good formula for gunner damage could be created, i dont see a reason to put a cap on the % damage beef they could generate. Ideally it would be limited by how much DPS THEY could deal out, rather than a hard cap. That way a better gunner is...well, a better gunner.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

I kind of like Destruction being a hard unchangeable number to be honest, I just feel it needs to be a much larger number since FCs can almost double Destruction using an aura that costs them near nothing. That way a better gunner is still better he can pump out more DPS to be modified by destruction, or build a tanky setup utilizing Destruction as a damage aug of sorts. The way it is now lends a lot of versatility to the class making it extremely fun to play, but it doesn't have enough raw power to prove itself on top end content when an FC gets to shove it aside for less money than I spend on Volatiles every week.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Perhaps the problem, then, lies in the way FC items are obtained? It does seem a bit too easy to just be able to buy the best FC items in the game from a base. In protected space, even!

The thing is, I really want to avoid a bandaid being put on the problem and the class remaining as it is for another two years. The problem goes far beneath the surface, and unless you fix it all the way to the bottom there are always going to be repercussions, and at best it just wont be as interesting of a class as it could have been otherwise.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Well playing gunner as my main I really see 2 solutions to solve the problems as a whole. Switch the bonus on the FC aura with destruction so gunners get the higher bonus since they haave to put much more work into using it, rather than an FC who just double clicks an item and just sits there. Then add missiles of all damage types so we can use more than 3 damage types effectively(I loved your missile variation idea by the way, its effin' epic and would add a lot of content, and even, lore to the gunner class).

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 pm
Content Dev
Main: s_m_w
Level: 1512

Demiser of D wrote:
I'm not exactly a math person, but it would seem that it should be some sort of ratio between percent of their max health done as damage over one second, modified by the size of their shields. In that way, it would modify the ratio to get a higher debuff bonus the higher shields an enemy has, but not fully compensating for the shield size, hopefully balancing to end up with a globally lower debuff on enemies with higher shields.

Get what I'm aiming for, here, at all? Maybe this is too jumbled, still.

If the debuff depended on DPS per max shield, that would mean really easy to kill AI would get a huge debuff, while bases or ubers would get a tiny one.

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to talk about Gunner rebalances or new Gunner content considering I have no experience playing a Gunner at all. I tried to fill some Gunner content gaps with Red Photon, but it seems I was unsuccessfull with that. I have never seen the weapon which I thought would be really, really overpowered in action ever.

I think our current plan for Gunner content was some cool debuff missiles, but you do raise a good point. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong) A gunner's effectiveness does not scale well with gear: A Gunner's DPS is negligible, the debuff is gear independant and so are missiles.

Demiser of D wrote:
i dont see a reason to put a cap on the % damage beef they could generate.

Let's do a little bit of time travel. Iq' Bana is endgame, 3k DPS is top notch. You are the best Gunner ever and do 4k DPS which through some magical formula results in 20% destruction. Now, a few years later, you do 40k DPS, what's the destruction % supposed to be now? 2 more years, tech 25 was just released, you get your hands on a buffered, forcefull, dynamic titan class mining lasers and do 700k DPS. What should the % be?
The definition of "endgame" changes, quickly. I'm not a mathmagician, but I think it would be close to impossible to invent a formula that will give proper results without having to be changed every few months. Hardcaps aren't very nice, I agree, but they are neseccary in some cases.

shawn_mccall wrote:
I kind of like Destruction being a hard unchangeable number to be honest, I just feel it needs to be a much larger number since FCs can almost double Destruction using an aura that costs them near nothing.

A Gunner can use t0 AI base weapons if he just wants to apply the debuff. That would be even cheaper than a FC's aura

shawn_mccall wrote:
Switch the bonus on the FC aura with destruction so gunners get the higher bonus[...]Then add missiles of all damage types so we can use more than 3 damage types effectively

I disagree with that suggestion. I don't want to nerf FCs and just beefing destruction would make Gunners more usefull, but it would not fix the gear/effectivenes ratio which I think is the problem. More missiles would be nice, but I don't like the idea of missiles being a Gunners primary DPS. I want Gunners to be the guys with the big ships and big guns. But maybe that's just the way I think.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense to be honest. Don't consider this to be a proper dev response, it's just random brainfarts

On an unrelated note: Stop making new replies everytime I hit "submit".
Seriously. Stop it.

edit: Thank you

Get the Beta Client here and test new features and changes on the test server

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 pm

s_m_w wrote:
If the debuff depended on DPS per max shield, that would mean really easy to kill AI would get a huge debuff, while bases or ubers would get a tiny one.

That's exactly the problem I forsaw. Therefore, there should be a modifier based on the size of the shield bank. The larger it is, the easier it is to debuff them, but you still have to do more damage to get the same debuff. Ideally. Not sure how to write that mathematically.

s_m_w wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not the best person to talk about Gunner rebalances or new Gunner content considering I have no experience playing a Gunner at all. I tried to fill some Gunner content gaps with Red Photon, but it seems I was unsuccessfull with that. I have never seen the weapon which I thought would be really, really overpowered in action ever.

I think our current plan for Gunner content was some cool debuff missiles, but you do raise a good point. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong) A gunner's effectiveness does not scale well with gear: A Gunner's DPS is negligible, the debuff is gear independant and so are missiles.

s_m_w wrote:
Let's do a little bit of time travel. Iq' Bana is endgame, 3k DPS is top notch. You are the best Gunner ever and do 4k DPS whcih through some magical formula results in 20% destruction. Now, a few years later, you do 40k DPS, what's the destruction % supposed to be now? 2 more years, tech 25 was just released, you get your hands on a buffered, forcefull, dynamic titan class mining lasers and do 700k DPS. What should the % be?
The definition of "endgame" changes, quickly. I'm not a mathmagician, but I think it would be close to impossible to invent a formula that will give proper results without having to be changed every few months. Hardcaps aren't very nice, I agree, but they are neseccary in some cases.

The thing i was thinking of is that as your damage increases, the difficulty of the enemy decreases in general, anyway. For example, if you're doing bana with 4k DPS from the gunner, then likely the zerker isn't doing more than, say, 10x that. Now a few years later the same gunner comes back and can do 40k dps on his own...so what's the point in even bringing along the zerker? Certainly they'd give a larger debuff, but as their DPS passes a certain point the debuff stops even being necessary, making it a moot point.

The key point is the formula. If it's made well, then it will be an awesome work of awesome, and a hard cap wont even be needed. It just sucks having to turn my math brain on after 3 years... :P

s_m_w wrote:
shawn_mccall wrote:
Switch the bonus on the FC aura with destruction so gunners get the higher bonus[...]Then add missiles of all damage types so we can use more than 3 damage types effectively

I disagree with that suggestion. I don't want to nerf FCs and just beefing destruction would make Gunners more usefull, but it would not fix the gear/effectivenes ratio which I think is the problem. More missiles would be nice, but I don't like the idea of missiles being a Gunners primary DPS. I want Gunners to be the guys with the big ships and big guns. But maybe that's just the way I think.

The trouble is, I can't really see how viable that is as an option. At the moment, so many classes are already using the different ways to do damage; If you make their primary DPS come from their weapons, then they become a crossover between a zerker, a sniper, and a FC, but that doesn't do as well at any of those things as the other classes.

s_m_w wrote:
On an unrelated note: Stop making new replies everytime I hit "submit".
Seriously. Stop it.

Sorry :P

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Yeah, great, the formula has to be good. We get it. But there is simply no way to base it off of either relative or fixed arbitrary numbers. Could do the thing that was done with build in bulk discounts. Simply find a way to use the % off as part of gunner destruction boosts based on damage instead.

An inherent bonus should still exist, though. Just add the above new layer on top of the bonus.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 pm
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Gunner is the debuff class. Why not give them debuff weapons that not only provide said debuff, but hit hard enough to be worth as dps weapons?

Lower the destruction power as needed.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 pm
Team: Imperium
Main: Odd One
Level: 523

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Gunner is the debuff class. Why not give them debuff weapons that not only provide said debuff, but hit hard enough to be worth as dps weapons?

Lower the destruction power as needed.

Class locked, weapon based, effects for the LOSS. For debuffs at least. For distributing bonuses, eh, go for it.

Gunner is about hit hard.
"Further blows more devastating" or something like that. They shouldn't be limited to what weapons they use and they shouldn't loose their destruction benefit.

targeting my OWN slave because... reasons, and then MIRVing it.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 pm
over 9000!

Dumbass. That kind of thinking makes Gunner look like a FC that gets aggro and is less effective than said FC. And runs out of ammo. And has less defense than the FC.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 pm

I agree that Gunner should be able to use any weapon, actually. The effects should be a part of the class. At most, they should have to equip an item similar to a drone controller that adds effects to their attacks.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:47 pm
over 9000!

If it was my way, Gunner's destruction would be replaced with a stat that improves all debuffs. Like, 100% or 200% bonus when leveled up fully.

Then, add a multitude of weapons, ships, and gear to facilitate the debuffing.

For example, a gunner has a flaming catapult that causes massive AoE splash damage, a 5 or 6 bullet excomm-like weapon that lowers target speed by like 30% and range by 50%, and his final weapon being a laser that reduces the target's damage by 25% and elect by 50%.

Big debuffs. Practical debuffs. Valuable debuffs. Valuable enough to be worth having instead of another sniper or a second zerk on squad runs.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next